CrossFit for the fat pastor

I've been doing a lot of research and reading on CrossFit.  Sound principles, and people are getting great results.  Great FAQ if you are into that.

So last night I gave it my first try with my first CrossFit workout.

I did upper body - chest & arms + some back extensions on Monday, so I didn't try to kill it for my first workout.  That was wise, because it tried to kill me.

I put 135lbs on the bar and did 3 movements - push press, dead lift and hang clean - in that order.

I did a 10/8/5/3 cycle, so I did 10 push presses, 10 dead lifts, 10 hang cleans, then 8 of each, 5 of each and 3 of each.  The idea being you do it for time and as you keep doing it you try to reduce the length of time it takes to complete the workout.  Of course you still have to use sound lifting principles and techniques all the while.

After the 10's I rested for 1 minute and got a drink.

By the end of the 8's I was breathing HARD, sweating like crazy, and my heart was pumping like a machine gun.  I rested for about 2 minutes.

By the time I made it to the 5's I was really feeling it in the push press and hang cleans.  Had I been doing more than 5 my form would've broken down & I'd have likely failed on the next hang clean.  I rested for about 3 minutes.

On the 3's I was pretty gassed, but got everything up.  I was jumping hard to get the 3rd hang clean up, but it snapped right into place.  The 3rd push press was a bit hard to lock out on my left arm, but I got there.

In all the sessions the deadlift was by far the easiest movement - and that is even after doing a solid back extensions set the day before.

All in all, I'm impressed.  I'll do it again, and eventually incorporate some other movements and/or workouts.

I'm not sore today, though a bit tired and a bit tight.

I'm thinking I'll move to a weekly schedule of heavy lifting on Monday's, Tuesday CrossFit, Wednesday core workout, Thursday volume lifting (still heavy, but lighter than Monday with higher reps), Friday CrossFit, Saturday off, and Sunday mostly just cardio.  I'll do recumbent bike/treadmill/elliptical on Monday-Friday as well, though possibly less on Crossfit days.

We'll see what it does to my body!

No comments:

Post a Comment