The unexpected effect of time off

As I mentioned, I had some planned time off.  A week for national conference and then a week of vacation.  Sounds good right?  Our denom meeting was indeed good - historic in fact.  Made some new friends, got to hang out with Ed Stetzer for 3 days, and overall ate pretty healthy save for the 18oz. Prime Rib that Ed suggested I get (he's on Atkin's...I'm not...).

Left for vacation last Thursday.  Had started feeling ill on Wednesday evening, and really quite poor on Thursday afternoon.  Made it to Sioux Falls where my parents live with the idea to over night here and then on to Colorado!

Woke up Friday feeling worse yet, so decided to stay the day rather than press on.  The rest of the family went and did fun things while I lounged around the house.  In fact, I missed my brother proposing to his girlfriend at her surprise birthday party because I felt so bad (she said yes!).  When the family got home I asked that someone take me to the hospital ER.

After being admitted and some nasty stuff I'll skip I got a CT scan of my abdomen.  Shortly later and I'm diagnosed with a blocked small intestine.  That leads to the most torturous 10 minutes of my life with a nurse trying to put a tube up my nose & down my throat.  Imagine someone poking your gag reflex for 10 minutes.  I could only get so empty.  I think I saw bubble gum from 4th grade leave my body.

So I spent the weekend in the hospital, getting out Monday mid-afternoon.  No solid food from Friday until Monday morning.  Sunday they let me have a few cups of chicken broth.  IV in my right elbow the whole time giving me a steady drip of sugar water to keep me going.

IV antibiotics (and now oral) seemed to remove whatever infection that had gotten into my bowels and shut everything down.  Thankfully I didn't have to have surgery.

Only today (Wednesday) am I starting to feel good again.  But it feels as if I have lost a lot of muscle and strength.  Afraid of what my lifts are going to look like when I get back to the gym in a few day.  Add to that a persistent cough from laying in a hospital bed for a few days and I know I'm going to really feel the pain.

But I'll get it all back and then some.  I'm not giving up.  I need to quit being so fat.

One side benefit of the whole medical nightmare is that my stomach shrunk considerably.  I can only eat about 60% of what I could eat a week ago.  So if I can make good choices, and not push that part back out I might start to make some real progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment