Goals for weightloss

My goals in all this are to better steward what God has given me in this life.  Hard to preach honestly/genuinely when a big sin issue lives around my waist line.

Losing weight will make my marriage better.  There's things I'm hesitant to do because of my weight that my wife would love to do.  And there are more intimate applications.  Plus, since I'm stuck being ugly I can at least not multiply that by being huge! :-)  It also reduces the chances she'll get to see that life insurance policy in action, and I'm OK with that.

It will also help me be a better father.  I'll be able to keep up with my son better, and hopefully someday be a good role model for him.  There's a lot of things in his life I don't want to miss out on, and being overweight will certainly take some opportunities from me.

I think it will make me a better pastor.  It's harder to connect with people when their first image of me/the church is this huge pastor.

My overall goals are to lose 80lbs in the next 2 years.  40lbs a year.  I still won't be skinny after losing 80lbs (sad to say) but I will be at a much healthier weight, and will then be in a place to take the next step(s) in this process.  That is less than a pound a week, which should be sustainable and healthily achievable.  Sustainability is very important to me, because I don't want to have to do this all over again. Plus, it has taken many years to put much of this weight on, so I suspect it'll take a few at least to get it back off again.

Some of what I hope to be doing will eventually slow my rate of weight loss - specifically weight lifting.  I love to lift, and when I do so regularly my body is inclined to get strong and pack on muscle.  Yes, late 30's means this won't happen as fast as in the past, but I do suspect that I'll put on some muscle in the months to come.  So losing 80lbs + added muscle will be a pretty sizable transformation in my body composition.  I've already started some light weight lifting, mostly form work, and in the months to come I'll add more to that as I feel ready to take that on.

No comments:

Post a Comment